Valles Mines, Missouri, U S A
Founded in 1749 by Francois Valle years before he became Commandante of the Fort of Sainte Genevieve and The King of Spain made him Don Francois Valle for saving their Fort San Carlos (now St. Louis).
270 years later as The Valle Mining Company, his 4000+ acre property every year absorbs 21,000 tons of carbon dioxide and puts out 14,000 tons of oxygen, enough to meet the needs of 63,000 people. [USDA Forest Facts]
Site Map

You Are Here:  Home : Maps, Brochures, Etc. : Contact Us/Donations

Contact Us*


  • To call the Superintendent: 573-631-6875 (cell)
  • For permit rate information, Click here
  • Email Superintendent Steve Frazier: HistorianSteve@GMail.com.
  • Email registered agent John Harrison: John@VallesMines.com

Donations


The Paymaster's Shack Please put donations and permit fees through the mail slot in the front door of The Paymaster's Shack, 14161 Valles Mines School Road 63087. Thanks!

Wish List, what would be a real help right now.

  • Gift cards to Home Depot
  • Copier paper, 8 1/2 x 11 letter size.

About Us


In 1748 Canadien Francois Valle came down from Beauport, Quebec, Canada to the village of Kaskaskia. There, aside from marrying the mayor's dausghter, he also bought lead from the Native Americans, possibly the Illini. He set up a trading post here at Valles Mines in 1749, 14 years before France ceded the east side of the river to the British in 1763. Valle found 99% pure ore lead ore whose only impurity was silver. To return to civilization he would go to French Village 10 miles east then 17 miles south to Ste Genevieve. He eventually moved there and ultimately became commandant of the fort, sending his two sons and their militia to defend St. Louis.

270 years later, the Valle Mining Company* still labors on, mapping digs, trails, forest stands, and historic ruins. Alas, no mining now but we are hopeful we will find the legendary Drill Hole #2. Now we preserve original remnants, artifacts and history in the Lost History Museum.

Maintaining the same density as Alaska (we have one house per 3500 acres) can On Patrol make an impression on the outdoor explorer. While the mining stopped 8 decades ago, it left behind two 10-acre lakes and miles of streams, roads, wagon trails and paths through a huge forest.

Thanks to Wildlife Rehabilitation Clinic (636-677-3670, Fenton, MO or WildlifeRehabClinic.com for allowing us to be a Release Site for rehabilitated wildlife. This spring around the lakes we spotted a flock of 55 turkeys. Canada geese on the lakes and blue heron in the creeks have become regulars again. Many leased acreages close during deer season (c. Oct. 1-Dec 31).


A local raccoon* The Valle Mining Company is in its 270th year, chartered as Missouri corporation #38951, formerly 123B from 1869 to 1919, settled by Francois Valle before the French & Indian War and before all the French loyalists crossed over to the west side of the river because of the British taking over the east side, and before The Louisiana Purchase.

With former mills and works in Valles Mines, Missouri, the property now serves as a tree farm while attempting to fund its historic preservation effort to document and restore its 74 houses and buildings. Our office is located at 14116 Valles Mines School Road, 63087.


For those who do not speak French, Valles Mines refers to the French language convention of pluralizing possessive pronouns, in other words, "Valles" translates into "the Valle family's" mines.